Gelato For Houdini?

Hello all ,

I have been testing gelato with maya and I can see huge speed improvement over normal cpu rendering when it comes to big scene .

downside is $1500 per seat plus you need quardo render farm for professional works. :blink:

Anyways, I think it will be pretty cool to have gelato with vex builder like intergration for shader writing.

I just asked the question to gelato devs and this is the response i got . :ph34r:

Currently, we don't have any plans here at NVIDIA to develop a plug-in for Houdini. It's not that we don't want to have one, but there is just so much our development team can take on, and it's not just the initial development, but supporting it going forward with each new version of Houdini.

That said, we will support anyone who wants to create a plug-in for Houdini or any other package. We'll provide development licenses, answer questions, help debug code, do a reasonble amount of hand-holding, etc. Just let us know.

--------------------

Dave Wilton

Product Manager,

NVIDIA Professional Solutions Group

dwilton@nvidia.com

• 3 weeks later...
wait a minut, wait a minut.... if Galeto can import ribs... and Houdini can export ribs.... does it all mean that....  :blink:  :blink:  :rolleyes:  :)  :D  ;)

27158[/snapback]

opps.. yh .. i just checked out the Gelato DOCs... ofcourse you still need a commerical license to get renderman support. :D

opps.. yh .. i just checked out the  Gelato DOCs... ofcourse you still need a commerical license to get renderman support. :D

27159[/snapback]

but its written that rib exporters for Galeto are free external tools from renderman.org... so how it can be restricted...? :huh:

We have three big announcements about Gelato.

The first is that Gelato can now be downloaded and used for free. This is a fully functional version of the renderer that is licensed for commercial use. We also have a version, Gelato Pro, that offers advanced functionality and a comprehensive support package and is available for sale from NVIDIA and authorized regional resellers.

The second announcement is that as of today, the Gelato downloads (both basic and Gelato Pro) incorporate Frantic Films' Amaretto plug-in for Autodesk's 3ds Max software in addition to the existing Mango plug-in for rendering with Autodesk's Maya software.

And the third is that the basic version of Gelato will run with NVIDIA GeForce hardware (5200+). Gelato Pro is only certified and supported on Quadro FX boards.

The free version of Gelato is the full-blown renderer. It's not a "lite" or evaluation version that is watermarked for otherwise restricted. It comes without support--obviously since we're giving it away we can't afford to support it like we can for paying customers. Support is limited to Q&A on these forums--for now. In coming months we'll be launching a Gelato community web site that will offer much more and facilitate Gelato users in helping each other.

Gelato Pro differs from the basic version in that it includes

--Sorbetto