Reflection Occlusion

oh you mean that... well that's unfortunately not built into mantra by default. you would have to do some shader writing to get that. agree it'd come handy sometimes. i just render separate pass if i need that. not a huge hassle.

you can use style sheets to make material overrides for that standalone pass. all objects visible for reflection mask will have white constant material and the receiving object will keep the "beauty" material but with everything except reflections disabled. lights would be off. for convenience you can merge those two rops and render them in sequence so you don't have to run them separately. this works best if you want to isolate ground reflections or so. not if objects are reflecting each other, obviously. if i have some time later i can post you an example file if you care.

cheers.

Edited by davpe

well you can make your "beauty pass" whatever you want. you can make depth your "beauty pass" if you wish. in the example i posted, just the mask was the beauty pass because real "beauty pass" shaders were overriden in a style sheet and never evaluated in that particular render.

it all depends how you design your materials. if you have some complex shading with aovs as a part of the same shader tree, then you have to execute the entire shader to get the aovs, but you get all that in one go.

if you forgot about some passes before rendering your main pass, nothing stops you from building those additional shader bits and pieces aside in a separate shader, use style sheets to build overrides and render just that very quickly. then you can easily merge those new shaders with the original one so you don't have to keep rendering those little forgotten bits as a separate sequence for future versions. 

hope this explanation makes sense :)

edit: maybe you will understand better if i say that you can't get just aovs without rendering the main pass, but you can make your main pass empty (or put anything else you want there with use of style sheets), but still get you aovs. so you don't ever have to waste time on rendering something you don't need.

Edited by davpe