Finding Houdini Lighters

Hey guys. I'm a VFX recruiter and I recently started working at a new company that has a slightly different pipeline for lighting than I am used to. So all of my lighting contacts are Maya artists, at the old place if they used a variety or rendering packages, their familiarity still allowed them to pick up our Arnold pipeline relatively quick.

At this new studio, all of the lighting is done in Houdini, using Mantra as the render engine (we are just starting to test Redshift, and used Arnold for 1 job). I have been using a few tactics, like going directly to SideFX and hiring out of their internship programs, and also encouraging aspiring VFX students I meet to pursue some Houdini base knowledge. Of course getting referrals from other good Houdini artists we get in also works. But aside from that, it seems like the general pool for Houdini lighters is much smaller than for Maya lighters. Also, plenty of Maya artists can not necessarily pick it up quickly, especially when we are bringing in freelancers for short turn around job.

Can anyone recommend a good community or place to get Houdini artists from? I see this community is pretty big so any direct recommendations are also cool. Our studio is in LA.

i think this is the community. i don't know any better dedicated to houdini. finding houdini lighters is harder than maya ones for sure as houdini up until recent years wasn't really focused on lighting tasks (and most lighters knowing houdini well enough have got a ton of work). but the situation is changing lately and people are starting to use houdini more as a general purpose 3d package so it should be easier to find all kinds or houdini artists in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John. 

I am based on Stockholm but if you need a remote Houdini lighter I am your guy. I spend 6 years as the Cg Supervisor and Lighting TD at AArdman Nathan Love, before moving back to Sweden. I have done lighting in Houdini for 3 years now, and am familiar with every renderer out there. 

www.vfxsouth.se

Hit me up if you want to chat. 

mats@vfxsouth.se