Bone rotation, hand rigging

I have been trying to rig two hands from a model I exported from C4D as obj files. (I tried the fbx export, but there was a lot of junk bones brought over that way). I tried to follow the Houdini hand rigging tutorials, but when I place bones, they rotate on the y axis for flexion, rather than the x axis. I tried to add just one bone and then change the initial null to a 90 degree rotation around the z axis, but when I add subsequent bones to the first bone, it reverts to placing bones that rotate in the y axis for flexion of fingers. I am trying to have the bones orient in the z axis but rotate for flexion/extension in the x axis. How do I change the defaults for bone placement to do this? Thanks.

HandRotation.jpg

Edited by Isleofgough

I discussed this with Mr. Goldfarb from SideFx and it does not appear one can change the default behavior of new bone creation in ortho views. However, it was possible to fix the rotations with a somewhat tedious method of clicking on each bone, enabling child compensation, cleaning any transforms, rotating the bone 90 degrees in z, cleaning rotates, and then disabling child compensation.

HandRotationFixed.jpg

Edited by Isleofgough
  • Like 1