Exporting ocean geo without displacement

hadrien

Hi everyone,

I am searching for a way to export ocean geometry from houdini without using displacement (because I must render it after with octane and octane is terrible handling displacement), the idea is to export real geometry instead of displacement maps as you would do normally.

Sort of combining the ocean evaluate (simulated area) with the ocean preview (out of ocean spectra) meshes in one mesh (see pictures attached)

Can someone help me on how to do that ?

000288.jpg

000289.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You could apply the spectrum to the mesh from the simulation.
Just increase the extrude divisions under the Region tab of the Particle Fluid Surface node, so you get more polygons in those corners.
Be aware that you're going to have quite the heavy mesh if you're going to have a wide angle shot and you're going to match the resolution of those corners with that of the simulated part.

Also, be sure to watch the Ocean Tools Masterclass to get more info about this stuff.

Thanks for your answer,
First I thought of this method but this was giving me really uneven geo so I switched to an other method which is to create a grid, substract the simulated area with a boolean and merge everything then apply a noise on this geo except the masked part of the geo which is simulated.