VDB write speed vs "other"

Hey,

I recently played around with the network settings, among them was enabling jumbo packages.

In the following tests i did, i noticed that Writing a VDB over the network was significantly slower than other formats(bgeo, begeo.sc, obj, etc.),
for me on my current network writing a VDB is about 1/5 of the speed of other formats.

Local write test show minimal difference, and when writing a vdb over the network it "waits for queued writes",
it seems to be a network issue and not tied with the actually creating the VDB.

My current solution is a post-frame script that moves the frame to the server after writing it locally and that seems to be about 3 times faster.

But i was wondering if anyone could explain it or maybe have a better solution?

I am defentlitely Houdini novice so i might just be completly be missing some env variable or the checkbox: MOAR SPEED!1!!one1! [   ]

• 2 years later...

Hi Esbenb, 

I am having the same issue while writing VDB cache (From a regular fileCache and ROP geometry) on an NFS local set up. my file transfer is capping at 4mbs on the network (While I can write 1GB ABCs or BGEO as my network speed is 10GB). although, writing the same VDB on a local SSD, it is quite instantaneous. 

I was wondering if you found a solution for this issue. 

Cheers!

Fady.   

Edited by kbret