JJ FX

bake texture displacement issue

Hi there,

So im trying to bake out my displacement to use it as a bump in Unity.

The problem is that when I bake out to different files (jpeg, png.. etc) the displacement pass always is solid black. But when I look into exr file my displacement renders as expected.

hard to say without seeing what are you actually doing. are any other layers baking out fine?

Actually I was wrong. The saved file is not completely black. It looks like its in some different colorspace. Im not sure how to set it up to save it like its in the exr format.

Its like that for displacement map only (normal, cavity, curvature, basecolor exr and jpg are exactly the same - as expected)

Untitled.png

displacementIssue.hiplc

Edited by JJ FX

hm, not sure how to solve that... I always render to exr. 

Any1 find a solution to this? I get different results when Render To MPlay and Render To Disk.when i write to disk the displacement map is very dark and if you gamma up you see all kinds of quantization. All other maps are 1:1

disk.png

mplay.png

For the record just use the GameDev Simple Baker and it will work. But yea the Bake Texture ROP will output a quantized displacement map out of the box when you Render To Disk. I was doing a really generic project with defaults to test the workflow and couldn't see how it was my error..