Animating/transforming in Houdini

evanrudefx

Hello friends,

When it comes to animating/transforming, what is typically the preferred method, at OBJ level or sops? When would I want to apply transforms at OBJ level and when would I want to it in sop level?  Is there any documentation about this? I am trying to animate something that will require constraints, so I should do it at OBJ, right? To my understanding, use sops for point transformations and OBJ for transforming whole pieces of geometry. Is that kind of on the right track?

Thanks, 

I am not a professional rigger, but most of the tools I have used to rig / animate are at OBJ level, which allows you to parent / constraint / blend constraints / create IK / etc. your objects and use Nulls to drive your bones and create shapes that helps your rig to be easy to use.

So I confirm that rigging / skinning / animating happens at OBJ level.

Of course your network becomes a mess, but that's normal : then you can collapse everything into a subnet and creates HDA of your rig.

There is this series that is beautifully made to show the tools for animation / rigging : https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/rigging-series-intro/

I hope I answer your question.

Edited by StepbyStepVFX
  • Like 1