Editing DA in pipeline

jonas.borgman

How do i prevent multiple people from opening the same asset?

We have multiple scene assembly assets going around (environment/characters/fx/etc.) and the process about them is not always linear as after the asset has been updated with shaders, or render settings, it needs to be reopened by the prop artist or whoever.

If multiple people have the same asset opened at the same time and both save their changes, they overwrite each others work.

How do we prevent this?

I don't think there's a way to prevent this with Houdini alone. You can try to hack it like making it impossible to save without permission or having a callback that would create a copy of the asset so you can prevent losing work or saving the asset every X minutes so conflicts are unlikely, but those are all fragile measures. You need something like a control system. You could use git, for example.

Although I'm not quite sure how merges would work at that level, depending on what you're doing I'm afraid you would end up with many conflicts that would be a nightmare to resolve.

Probably the best solution is to rethink the pipeline in such way this wouldn't happen. E.g, the shading asset might not be the same asset as the modeling asset, they are just related.

Take a look at this talk here, it might give you some ideas

Also, take a look at USD, even if you don't want to actually use it, the concept of layers is what you're after

https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html