Baking point (not vertex) colors to texture?

Hello all,

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to bake point colors to a texture. I have a grid with UVs and points scattered onto that grid. I've added color to the points using noise inside an Attribute Wrangle node. I want to bake those colors onto the grid's texture.

I tried using the GameDev tools baker, and assigning the grid to the Target mesh and the points to the Source mesh, but I get an error -- "Error rendering child: /out/rop_games_baker1/pre_bake0"

I tried using the Bake Texture node. I am able to get a the points baked onto the grid's texture, but not the color. I only see them as white dots. I can vary the size of the dots by changing the pscale.

What can I do to get the colors to show in the renders?

bakePointColor.hipnc

Edited by player

Thank you for pointing me to that tutorial. It doesn't completely solve my issue since it only bakes out greyscale values, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'll be looking more into COPs and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again!

No problem. I actually did try it myself and had it working with colour. Peter only looks up his wetness value and feeds one float into the RGB which is all he needs. But if you look up Cd as a vector and then do a vector to float then feed the outputs of that to the rgb it’ll work with colour

Ah ha. The convert vector to float was the missing piece.

I managed to switch the pcfilter to vector output and set it to the Cd channel, but being fairly new to COPs, I also managed to overlook the color difference between the pcfilter output and the RGB inputs :rolleyes:.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction :)