Area Lights - A Question

Hi there,

I am getting a bit confused with area lights -- if I have two walls perpendicular to each other, I'm having a problem setting a point light as an area light and getting illumination over both walls. One wall is illuminated as I would expect but the other wall is receiving a kinda spotlight effect. Could someone enlighten me about using these lights -- I'm sure there is something very obvious I'm missing.

TIA

Ziggx

post-790-1148751609_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

One wall is illuminated as I would expect but the other wall is receiving a kinda spotlight effect.

28073[/snapback]

It looks like your walls have consolidated normals - i.e. smoothed shading normals. In your walls objects, put down a Facet SOP and turn on Unique Points.

Jason,

Thankyou very very much -- I've been trying to figure this out for the past 6 hours. It worked a treat -- dunno what consolidated normals are but I'll remember this trick in future. Thanks again for sharing your Houdini Wisdom with folks like me (specially on a Saturday)

Best Wishes

Ziggx

It looks like your walls have consolidated normals - i.e. smoothed shading normals. In your walls objects, put down a Facet SOP and turn on Unique Points.

28074[/snapback]

Jason,

Thankyou very very much -- I've been trying to figure this out for the past 6 hours. It worked a treat -- dunno what consolidated normals are but I'll remember this trick in future. Thanks again for sharing your Houdini Wisdom with folks like me (specially on a Saturday)

Best Wishes

Ziggx

28075[/snapback]

My pleasure:)

Consolidated normals are essential for getting smooth shading across polygons by pretending the surface of the flat polygon is actually concave or convex.

Anyhow, you'll probably find that if you constructed your walls from Box SOPs, the default for a Box SOP has it's "Consolidate Normals" option checked on. If so, just uncheck it. If you modeled or loaded in the geometry somehow else then the FacetSOP is your only friend.

Ah, now I understand... thanks for the explanation.

My pleasure:)

Consolidated normals are essential for getting smooth shading across polygons by pretending the surface of the flat polygon is actually concave or convex.

Anyhow, you'll probably find that if you constructed your walls from Box SOPs, the default for a Box SOP has it's "Consolidate Normals" option checked on. If so, just uncheck it. If you modeled or loaded in the geometry somehow else then the FacetSOP is your only friend.

28076[/snapback]