Alembic export gives strange lighting from Houdini

sublune

Hey there,

I'm currently working on a project with some models that I've exported as alembic files from C4D to preserve the polygroups, so I can add the materials back onto the model when I re-import. 

When I reimport the alembic files they have a really strange reaction to Octane Render. I don't really know how to avoid this as some exports seem to be okay but some just give me this weird lighting effect. 

Has anyone come across this before/ knows how to avoid it, or can point me in the right direction as its hard to tell if its Houdini or Octane :s

Thanks,

Joe

Issue_alembic.png

it sometimes happen that applications convey residue attributes with abc file, or normals are scrambled. so check for that and delete any attributes that you don't need. also, if not using Mantra for rendering, make sure your abc is not imported as packed geometry, and that polysoups are disabled. dunno if octane supports any of those features. unsupported geometry type would definitely result in wrong looking render.