advect by volumes node limitation

tagosaku

Hi, I am trying to understand advectByVolumes node. Basically I create custom vel field and animate density by advection.

When increasing timestep, density moves more, but there looks a certain distance limitation, and density does not move further anymore. I wonder what's a logic and a solution for that, instead of using sop-solver, in order to continue to proceed density animation.

image.png.1fd16bc61773790644939e058c3c63e1.png

advectTest.hip

Edited by tagosaku

Advect By Volumes VOP is not made for long advections, it's usually used for a single frame advection within a solver, it has a hardcoded maximum limit of 32 steps depending on cfl condition

if you really don't want to use Solver or DOPs have a look at VDB Advect SOP, that can advect over long distances as you can specify number of substeps and doesn't have such low limit for your purposes 

uh, that's good to know there are step limitation!

Then, I tried VDB advect. It's working well. but calculation gets heavier and heavier when setting time step more and/or faster vel.

I wanted to try this method because I heard one of VFX companies have a VEX/VOP based fog animation, instead of using sop-solver or dopnetwork ;) The system is not for replacement with regular fog sim, but it works for a simple Background-quality fog. And I assume that should create unique fog shape and unique motion, unlike filling out an entire box boundary volume, unlike simple linear straight offset animation.

I doubt any VFX house would advect from 0 every frame, since as you said it get's slower and slower the more steps you take and it's counter-intuitive to keep redoing the work per frame instead of doing one step at a time in a Solver SOP

so I'd assume what you heard is that companies advect the fog in the solver using simple vector field, so without an actual smoke sim