I just created some custom vel but it doesnt affect pyro at all. (hip included)

bifrost

Hey guys, 

So I just created a custom vel setup for pyro and it has always worked for me pre H17. However, due to the changes made to H17 on how you source volumes and fields into dopnet, I have zero clue how to make it work.
Can anyone one of you Houdini gurus take a look at the file and help me with this please? 

Thanks,

customVel_of.hip

Hmm, looks like one of microsolvers (SOP Merge Field) is expecting vector volumes in a certain way

- Houdini vector volume needs to be provided as a triplet of scalars

alternatively

- You could convert your volume to VDB, do 'VDB vector merge' and then use it in your setup

customVel_of_VDB.hip

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, tmdag said:

Hmm, looks like one of microsolvers (SOP Merge Field) is expecting vector volumes in a certain way

- Houdini vector volume needs to be provided as a triplet of scalars

alternatively

- You could convert your volume to VDB, do 'VDB vector merge' and then use it in your setup

customVel_of_VDB.hip

This works like a charm. Thanks a lot Albert. I understood what you did in the vdb method. On the 1st method, can you please share what you changed on one of the SOP merge fields so that Houdini is reading the vel data correctly from SOPs?

12 hours ago, tmdag said:

you have provided "vel". All i've changed there is set it to "vel.x vel.y vel.z" -  providing triplet of scalars as native velocity volume is stored in scalars

Aha, gotcha. Thanks a lot Albert for your help on this topic. :)