Wireglueconstraint

sanostol

is it possible to control the springstrength of the wireclueconstraint on a per point base? For example I want my curve to follow more rigid at the base and then gradualy decrease the springstrength to the tip.

martin

is it possible to control the springstrength of the wireclueconstraint on a per point base? For example I want my curve to follow more rigid at the base and then gradualy decrease the springstrength to the tip.

martin

28490[/snapback]

Hi, I just recently figured this out so i think i can help. there is an example you want to look at in the help files under lsystems which uses an lsystem tree to show wire dynamics. your problem isn't in the constraint though, you need to define values for the linear spring constant (klinear) and angular spring constant (kangular) parameters found in the wire objects force model tab. At the sop level, the example uses attribute creates to custom define variables for these parameters which get read into the dop network throught the geometry. the width which is also a parameter in wire obj, gets defined the same and is used to create expressions for the other two. the width expression basically says that the higher position in y for the point, the lesser the value, which will translate into a more flexible, stretchy wire higher up. maybe this sounds confusing, it took me a while to figure this out because im pretty new to the program. the example is perfect for this, it's at the bottom of the lsystem page in the help files. i attached a simple example i made. hope it helps. good luck!

wire_example.hip

Thanks for the example, but I really wanted to control the springstrength per point (no matter if it makes sense :D )

I want to create a rig that allows a smooth switch between keyframed and simulated animation for example tentacles.

I found a way by modifying the wireglue dop and saving it as a new otl. This if very cool in houdini that You can create new control levels that easy. I still have to fix that if the pointattribute does not exist it takes the parameter but I guess this is not the problem,

here is the otl and a demoscene with it.

inside the dop network under the model there is a switch that controls which wire glue constraint is used:

0 -> original wire glue constraint

1 -> modified one

2 -> the saved otl version of the modified one ( if You do not want to install the otl, it has the same behavior as 1)

martin

wireglue.rar