Debug doesn't work on Windows

Hello!

Today I updated to VS2019 with v141 toolchain. Everything compiles and loads properly.
When I build debug version and then attach debugger to Houdini, nothing happens. All breakpoints and crashes etc. are not picked up. I also reverted to VS2017, also with v141, and still the same result.

As a test I took SOP_Star example from toolkit and used CMake that comes with it, and it also ignores all breakpoints/crashes when compiled in debug mode.

Any ideas what can be a problem?

Edited by bamfbamf

You can't build debug and use it with Houdini because it's likely to break due to the use of the Debug CRT. Instead, you should change your debug configuation to use the Release CRT ie. the /MD compiler option instead of /MDd.

Breakpoints/crashes should be fine but try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_INTERNAL_IGNORE_SIGNALS to 1 before starting Houdini.

Well, this is generated straight from CMake that comes with Houdini 17.5.173
image.png.de5b7e71c5e42120aa69d1604ceee2c3.png

Doesn't seem to work.
Also, when I attach debugger, Diagnostic Tools like below does NOT showup:

image.png.f32600d47c4bb66c556d1b2d2e26af52.png

But it seems it does connect in some way because it complained couple times when I manually stopped debugging, like for example:
- cannot detach when one of Houdini proceses running, terminate it instead? (or something along this line)
- console throwed erno error with some Python connection stuff

I'm pretty sure SOP_Start example worked because I also modeled all my personal CMake stuff based on it to make dubug working in August last year. And it was all working in at least January this year.

HOUDINI_INTERNAL_IGNORE_SIGNALS didn't helped.

EDIT: Beside it, as a test I switched to /MDd and it didn't wanted to even compile

image.png.604b971a8ac8ebce604f0855980fae29.png
so only /MD can be used. This uninitialized variable is to force crash BTW.

Edited by bamfbamf

Well, if you're already compiling with /MD, then I don't know what the problem is. I have no idea why this has anything to do with Diagnostic Tools. Have you tried going back to SOP_Star to see if that still works?

Oh wait, you're using VS 2019 ... that's because they're buggered.

12 hours ago, edward said:

Well, if you're already compiling with /MD, then I don't know what the problem is. I have no idea why this has anything to do with Diagnostic Tools. Have you tried going back to SOP_Star to see if that still works?

Oh wait, you're using VS 2019 ... that's because they're buggered.

If Diagnostic Tools doesn't show up that means debugger doesn't connect properly. Otherwise it would profile process memory usage etc.
Yes, I'm using VS2019 but with v141 toolchain, so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work if compilation works properly in Release and Debug modes plus loads into Houdini without any problems too.

Any chance we get this updated to work with 2019 in upcoming builds? (assuming it's this not something else)

Edited by bamfbamf