[SOLVED] In/Active Constraints

ChazS

I'm trying to shoot a cannonball through a small castle. The cannonball animates and blasts through the walls, but the constraints look like they're being ignored (or they aren't hooked up properly), so the entire structure collapses the moment the sim begins. The clusters are being ignored as well, but I can't figure out why.

Many thanks for you even reading this.

v17.5

rookDestruction_chazS.hipnc

Edited by ChazS

it's because your sopsolver1 is overwriting your constraint geometry

so either disable sopsolver1 or dive in and change display flag to relationship_geometry which contains your constraints, if you want to make modifications to them

also you'll need to define your cannonball as a static packed rbd using bullet solver, rather than Static Object

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anim said:

it's because your sopsolver1 is overwriting your constraint geometry

so either disable sopsolver1 or dive in and change display flag to relationship_geometry which contains your constraints, if you want to make modifications to them

also you'll need to define your cannonball as a static packed rbd using bullet solver, rather than Static Object

Thank you, that was the issue. I simply created a new constraintnetwork node with fresh params and it now works. I'll switch the cannonball to rbd as well, but being rather new to Houdini, I'm curious as to why this is necessary?

addendum :: I made the ball an rbd and have fed it into the rbd solver but no matter how much velocity and density it has, it won't smash through the walls. However, the castle does collapse. I'll mess with the glue constraints, but would like to know if there are any other parameters I should be paying attention to as well?

Edited by ChazS

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ikoon said:

Hi Chaz, on your constraintnetwork1 you had the parameter Overwrite with SOP set to 1. That is why your constraints were unbreakable.

It's been awhile since I worked on this, but that does ring true. All these crazy buttons!! :D

Thank you ikoon.

• Like 1