Attribute from map not applying as expected

Hello, I'm trying to assign identifying colors through textures. My models will have UVs with the appropriate textures made for them. I'm doing tests now and am having trouble transferring the texture to the geometry. I'm using the attribute from map SOP and my UVs look correctly laid out but the result is not right. However when I apply the texture with a principled shader it works correctly. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this. 

Images of problem

Thank you!

I figured it out. I didn't have enough subdivisions on my model and it appears having seams in the uv with attribute from map can be problematic. There are issues in interpolation there, but I think that is as good as it can be.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem that I managed to fix by unlocking my "attribute from map" node and then going to the top right node called "promote_vertex_uvs_to_points". Inside that I changed the promotion method from "average" to "last match" (or "first match"). I'm guessing it has something to do with points along the edge of UV seams having more than one UV co-ordinate, and then something weird happens when it averages the value for all co-ords of that point, I'm guessing it averages over the entire UV area between the co-ords? First or last match probably just chooses the value at the first/last co-ordinate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, lgouws said:

I had a similar problem that I managed to fix by unlocking my "attribute from map" node and then going to the top right node called "promote_vertex_uvs_to_points". Inside that I changed the promotion method from "average" to "last match" (or "first match"). I'm guessing it has something to do with points along the edge of UV seams having more than one UV co-ordinate, and then something weird happens when it averages the value for all co-ords of that point, I'm guessing it averages over the entire UV area between the co-ords? First or last match probably just chooses the value at the first/last co-ordinate. 

Just wanted to chime in and say I was having this issue too and this solution fixed it. Pretty sure this setting should be First or Last Match by default.

Also, thank you. Probably wouldn't have figured that out on my own.

Edited by Mechanica
  • Like 1