Point Sliding

Hi,

Just having another quick play with the HDK. This is a sop to let you slide points along edges in geometry. It's very simple at the moment, just select some edges and it will let you slide the first point of each edge towards or away from the second point in each edge. You'll need to add a omsbinding to make it let you select edges - I've include the command required in a 456.cmd which you can put in your $HOME/scripts directory.

enjoy!

PointSlide.zip

Hi,

Just having another quick play with the HDK. This is a sop to let you slide points along edges in geometry. It's very simple at the moment, just select some edges and it will let you slide the first point of each edge towards or away from the second point in each edge. You'll need to add a omsbinding to make it let you select edges - I've include the command required in a 456.cmd which you can put in your $HOME/scripts directory.

enjoy!

PointSlide.zip

Sounds like a fun tool, Si. omsbind - is that to create persistent handles? Or "regular" op handles? Which reminds me, I wonder if SESI has made the OPbindings file run through the preprocessor yet? i.e, do you know if you can #include other (custom) OPbindings files? It was always a great pain if you edited this file that you had to re-enact your edit for each installation or you'd quickly get out of sync with SESIs additions or changes and quickly judged "not worth the effort"

Unless there is a more modern way to do this now... anything new exposed in the HDK for this yet, or planned?

It's just to tell the viewport that you can interactively select edges and have them turn up in the group field. I don't know if there is an "internal" way to do it. I could probably attach a handle to the "dist" parameter too, but I'll leave that to individual taste. I have vague recollections of asking about setting up these bindings before in this very forum but I think I came to the conclusion this was the only reliable way to do it. All other methods only worked after the sop was cooked and only for the duration of the session.

This sop is just about the simplest one you can write but its a good example I think. I'd like to see this functionality added into the sculpt sop which would make it much more useful. I think a lot of people would like to see that too, so..... well who knows.

Yeah, I love your SOP sketches for that very reason. I would love to see some form of the RBF Morpher and the Procedural PolySplit taken up by SESI. Do you think that the point-sliding mode should be a standard Edit handle constraint (like Snapping) or the slide-on-edge should be a procedurally recorded action? Or both?

These handle constraint RFEs (like "Snap along a single axis", "Slide along my own surface", and now "Slide along edge") seem to be building up in the desperate hope George can get to 'em some day.

I can see uses for both, but I think an edit constraint would be the most powerful in a general modelling sense. I imagine the procedurally recorded method would have more limit uses. However that is the beauty of Houdini is it not? Those moments when you want to do something procedurally that you can't do easily in another package. I forget the number of times I used a procedural tool to do something it was never concidered designed for, and if everything just gets rolled into the edit sop then you may as well go off and use a different modeller, no? The procedural tools serve a dual purpose, modeling and animation/effects so I'd like to see everything remain procedural but have the option to use speedy edit sop style tools that you would expect in any other package.

Give me a cake and I want to eat it!

If I was forced to choose though I'd go for beefing up the edit sop in the first place, since the procedural methods can usually be rolled out of other existing tools or vops. Changing the edit sop is really a Sesi only update.

• 7 months later...
Just realised I posted up the wrong header file so this sop wouldn't compile

Here's the right one.... clearly none of the 55 people who downloaded this tried to compile it.

PointSlide.zip

Thats my problem with C++ code.. you're kind of pleasantly surprised if stuff works and not at all surprised when it doesn't compile. :ph34r: