Sign in to follow this  
tmac2k7

Roof Modelling difficulty

Newbie alert.  Having trouble figuring out how to select certain points procedurally on the roof system.  I would like to group specific points then ray them onto bounding region to get the attached desired look. 

desireLook.JPG

UndesiredLook.JPG

RoofCornerproblem.hiplc

Hi tmac,

you can move the internal point of a triangle to the border by applying the average position of its two other points to it:

image.png.3690c55965b304217c895240c47dbe49.png image.png.9015d8b6bbb6517b4bf45dee50765969.pngimage.png.6b0a5101fc0ee4d764aad4818588abb7.png

// in a primitive wrangle
if(primvertexcount(0, i@primnum) == 3){ // make sure it's a triangle
    int pts[] = primpoints(0, i@primnum); // collect all points of the triangle
    vector pos = 0.0; // set a initial position value for summing up the other two points positions later
    int pt_move = -1; // set a initial point number for the yet unknown inner point
    foreach(int pt; pts){ // run over all points of this triangle
        if(inpointgroup(0, 'outer', pt) == 1){ // ask whether this point is part of the outer group
            pos += point(0, 'P', pt); // add its position to the position sum from line 3
        }
        else{ // if the currently processed point is not part of the outer border..
            pt_move = pt; // .. define it as the inner point thats supposed to be moved..
        }
    }
    vector pos_avg = pos / 2.0; // .. to the average position of the other two points.
    setpointattrib(0, 'P', pt_move, pos_avg, 'set'); // apply the new position to the inner point.
}

Rising the roof can be done without promoting the polyframe`s egdedist attribute, simply by calling the vertex attribute within a point wrangle:

v@P.y += vertex(0, 'edgedist', i@vtxnum);

roof.hipnc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Waw just great.  Can not thank you enough for taking the time to look at it.  You turned 17 nodes into 3.  Much appreciation.    

• Haha 1

Apologies for the inconvenience and my lack of knowledge of vex.  Just one last query regarding a point with four connecting edges that is causing an error.  Would like it deselected from the tri points as it distorts the roof shape.  I have included error scene.      

roof (1).hipnc

desired.JPG

Undesired.JPG

Never mind, you can check if the point has three neighbors, otherwise it does not move the point.

if(primvertexcount(0, i@primnum) == 3){
    int pts[] = primpoints(0, i@primnum);
    vector pos = 0.0;
    int pt_move = -1;
    foreach(int pt; pts){
        if(inpointgroup(0, 'outer', pt) == 1){
            pos += point(0, 'P', pt);
        }
        else{
            pt_move = pt;
        }
    }
    if( neighbourcount(0, pt_move) == 3){
        vector pos_avg = pos * chf('shape');
        setpointattrib(0, 'P', pt_move, pos_avg, 'set');
    }
}

Thank you so much for your help.  Ill stop bothering you now.  Much appreciation.

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG