CacheIt -- HDA

mik74

Nice! I have made a similar kind of thing for myself. Something I included was adding 'metadata' as detail attributes to help identify caches easier than just their version number. Definitely helps when your client asks you to revert back a few versions to one they liked earlier! Maybe you could add this in too?

image.png.cc01d21ce9edb9612d0bda0e9a4d5af5.png

Edited by markingleukc

Hey!

Yes cool, I could add this too!

The only thing I don't like is to keep track of the hipfile just with a detail attribute sync to the version...

For example, if you cache a sim, you continue to work and forget to save a new version and hit ctrl+s (which is a pure reflex for me haha), if you've done some modification on your sim , you've lost your settings for the previous cache, and you are fuc***...

This is why in my OTL there is a toggle to copy the current version of your hip, in the cache folder.

So you exactly know from where it come, and no way to mistake :) And since a Houdini file is rarely more than 10MB, it's all good!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I downloaded Cacheit but, could you confirm that it works with Python 2.7 and 3.0?

When running on H18.5py3 it gets mi this error. 

Error running callback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Sop/CacheIt/read", line 1, in <module>
  File "Sop/CacheIt, PythonModule", line 25, in setColor
NameError: name 'reload' is not defined

Edited by Jorge Medina

Hi, I haven't seen this HDA, but that error sounds like it is py2.7. In python 3.7 reload is no longer build-in.

So for Python 3.7, you have to use:

from importlib import reload

Reload function is usually used during development to quickly modify module code without restarting the application. So its usage could be probably omitted (just delete/comment out the code like this):

reload(something)