2 Questions

Hi guys,

I'm new with Houdini, and I'm finding this forum very useful ! !

Here are two questions about houdini, that I'm not able to answer..

1. is it possible to NOT have the open gl lighting with one or more light in the scene?? I would like to have the shaded view without the openGl shadow generated by the lights, but at the same time I want to keep mi light setup in the scene...

2. is it possible to render the background image... just to check if the lighting is good for the background image... I saw that i can use the compositor, but it is possible to have the background image into the mplay window??

I hope i was enough clear...

Thanks to everybody in advance.

pietro.

#1:

I think it's only possible to turn off the specular contribution of the lights (Display options, 'd' in the viewer, Misc page, turn off "Specular") without doing anything too drastic. Otherwise:

- You can also use Hidden Line - Ghost (4th icon from the right in the bar at the bottom of the viewer), but that tends to remove all shading, so you might not want that.

- Viewing the scene at the SOP level removes most of the lighting (press 'e' in the viewport to see all the objects). Of course, this makes it difficult to work with objects :)

#2: MPlay does support BG images. Again, in the display options ('d' in the MPlay viewport, or Settings->Display Options via main menu), Background tab. Enter a background image and it'll automatically enable transparency for the image (and double buffering).

If you flipbook the 3D view via View->Flipbook, you can specify the BG image in the flipbook options. However, there's no good way to specify the BG image when rendering through mantra (or other renderers).

Thank you so much !

For the rendering view it's even better of what i was looking for, for the light the hidden line can work, i just need to get used to it (i mean the way Houdini works)

Anyway, Thank you very much again!

I'm Happy now.

pietro.