Path Deform and Optimization

Hi all!

I have very long string of different, fairly poly heavy, CAD models put together.
I'm animating these along a curved path, and the path itself also has some animation on it.

I've been using the Path Deform SOP from the GameDev toolkit, and it works, but is dreadly slow on such a long and complex object and millions of points. And dealing with adjusting from client feedback, it makes it really hard to iterate on.
So.. just looking to see if anyone could think of some optimizations techniques? I was thinking to use a low poly string. Animate and adjust, having some workable feedback, then transfer that animation on to the high poly string - but not sure how to approach that.

Edit: I can of course replace the low poly with the high poly at the end, but it takes 4-5 minutes to calculate per frame. So just looking to see if there are other approaches.
Point deform is close. It really fast transfers the high poly to the low poly mesh, but it deforms the source too much besides just following the spline. Still tweaking on this to see if I can get acceptable results.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Tronotrond