Instancing multiple objects onto DOP simulation

I'm hoping this is a fairly simple one, but I'm beating my head against the screen which doesn't seem to help ;-)

I'm working on a scene with a large number of various bottles and trays in a simple dynamics simulation. All bottles can be simulated as tubes, all trays as boxes. Simple enough.

What I can't seem to work out is an efficient way of instancing high-res bottles, trays etc over the proxy geo. My first idea is using an instance SOP with a 'DOP Import' node to give me the positions, using 'create points to represent objects', then varying the path with s@instance="obj/bottle1" etc; but although the points all seem to transfer fine, with data intact, the instances don't follow the point positions properly - the instances all come in at the origin of the sim and then explode out from there. I'm guessing I need to correct the first p/s/r values for each instance... but that's where I've ground to a halt.

Hope someone can help! I'll upload where I've got to if that helps. Cheers -Chris

Houdini_bottles_boxes.jpg

Edited by ChrisCousins
extra info

Thanks for the reply. Cached on uncached doesn't seem to fix the problem. I've made a very simple chopped down version of the file, attached. I've got a feeling that the problem lies in extracting the intial transformations of the points, hoping there's a silly setting I've overlooked.

SimpleInstanceSetup.hiplc

A bit of progress! Did some reading up, and found the problem with the positions was that they needed to be taken from the packedfulltransform intrinsic. So…

matrix m4 = primintrinsic(0,'packedfulltransform',@ptnum);
matrix3 m3 = matrix3(m4);
@orient = quaternion(m3);
v@pivot = primintrinsic(0,'pivot',@ptnum);

dop-inst.gif?raw=1

Last problem to fix is that the rotations don't update - the orient value stays 0,0,0. Grateful for any assistance! Cheers - Chris

Thanks for laying it out so clearly vtrvtr - all makes sense.

By doing it with instances I was hoping to avoid the memory overhead of using duplicated copies of the same geo. Instances just seem super-efficient, but it became more of a headache than it was worth. I've had a quick poke through your file though and using 'Pack and Instance' option on the high-res side of 'copy to points' does this automatically, and doesn't seem to affect naming process, so they all still match up nicely.

So -- solved! :-) Thanks again - Chris