Mantra & threadripper - Progressive vs bucket

Hello!

I just got myself a threadripper 3960x for freelance simulation purposes etc. My workstation is now up and I'm doing some performance tests.
I'm getting some very unexpected results when rendering in mantra. And I'm very curious if someone can help me understand what's going on under the hood?

A simple scene I created(with some geo, lights and reflective materials) takes about 2 minutes to render in mantra in bucket mode. All good and as expected!
The same scene takes about x3 times as long in progressive mode. If I monitor the core activity, they're almost idling while rendering, then suddenly, about halfway through, they all accelerate up to max speeds and finish the render in seconds...

Anyone wanna take me to school?

Thanks,
Joachim

Are you talking about the Render View or batch renders?  In general I always turn off progressive rendering in Render View both because it seems slower and it also overrides some of your Mantra ROP settings (I believe it forces Raytrace mode, and a particular filtering mode for volumes but I am not 100% sure).

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:17 AM, Matt Runner said:

Sweet, thank you! I started listening, but need a bit more time to get through all of it. It seems like a really interesting lecture! Thank you!

On 4/10/2020 at 11:33 PM, xxyxxy said:

Are you talking about the Render View or batch renders?  In general I always turn off progressive rendering in Render View both because it seems slower and it also overrides some of your Mantra ROP settings (I believe it forces Raytrace mode, and a particular filtering mode for volumes but I am not 100% sure).

It's render view. I always thought mantra did normal buckets when batch rendering anyways...? Yeah, it always seems slower to me as well, but not at this level, where all cores are barely showing any activity.

I'll try to play around with some settings when I get to my workstation again:)