H18 Volume isn't display in viewport properly, Rest field in sparse solve

Marcocheng

Hi,

I'm currently switching my pyro setup from 16.5 to 18 which I found two major issues holding me.

1. Fog volume isn't displayed properly in H18 viewport especially low dense parts. The transition of the volume from high dense to low dense is harsh. I found it impossible to create a pyro source and sim because viewport doesn't behave what it should be. A density below 0.1 simply wipes out to zero in the viewport (which makes me thought my dissipation gone wrong for the first time, but found out its viewport problem. Loading my sim cache in 16.5 is fine)

To indicate the problem, I simply convert the pig head (in H18) to fog VDB with default toplight. Then load the cache in H16.5 to see the difference.

Viewporterror.jpg.5ff485be92693d8f194ce958c371a0ee.jpg

H16.5 is much better. The exact same problem appears when I doing pyro sim. The smoke dissipation in a very strange way (viewport display error)

2. I wonder if the sparse solver supports the rest field (and dual rest field)... As I didn't see the option in the new solver and no "stencil field" option in Gas Rest microsolver... any workaround?

Thanks!