Archiving Rib Files

Overload

I'm sure this is something simple that I am overlooking. But I am trying to archive a RIB file to an object inside Houdini for placement. I have been using Slim in Maya with the "ReadArchive" method, but I can't stand using Maya :blink: . I know how to export a .rib from ROPs, just not briging one back in.

I am guessing that it is a VOP shader that references the .rib file and turns off the opacity of the object its being instanced/attached to. I can't seem to find any information on this method. I also have 3Delight installed along with the apprentice version on my home PC. I know I could do all this VIA straight code, but positioning camera's and lights is much quicker doing it this way. Any help would be great, thanks guys :rolleyes:

Anthony

• 4 weeks later...

just to elaborate on what peship is saying.

if you look at the geo object's render tab there is a detail attribute labelled Geometry which by default goes to "Geometry As Is".

You can switch this to Procedural, Procedural (explicit bounds), or Procedural (render SOP bounds).

then if you look at the parameter detail_ribproc and its plus icon to bring up its UI, you'll see you can create a DelayedReadArchive call to a file.

As you would expect by specifiying explicity bounds you'll have field for entering the bounding box ofyour rib, which you may or may not know.

If you're generating you're rib via the archive rop in houdini you use the same geometry object and switch its detail parameter to Procedural (render SOP bounds) to automatically pickup the bounding box. You can alternatively use the bbox expression to pick up the bounding box values from any SOP if for instance you're not using the render SOP for the bounds.

To forget all this bounding box nonsense you can simple specifiy the rib file in an empty geo objects' postinclude parameter (or call it via rib syntax al RiArchive "some.rib" ) to have it also show up in your scene at rendertime.

jeff.

Thanks guys.. I should have posted back, but I figured it out about 10 min after making this thread :blink:

Has anyone had any luck getting shadows to work when using 3Delight? I know you can declare the shadows in the RIB file itself, but it only seems to work sometimes. Even if I point the light to a light shader that was recompiled with 3delight it doesnt work....any suggestions? Thanks a bunch :)

Anthony

Thanks guys.. I should have posted back, but I figured it out about 10 min after making this thread :blink:

Has anyone had any luck getting shadows to work when using 3Delight? I know you can declare the shadows in the RIB file itself, but it only seems to work sometimes. Even if I point the light to a light shader that was recompiled with 3delight it doesnt work....any suggestions? Thanks a bunch :)

Anthony

you might want to start a new thread for this.

sorry, i haven't used 3delight much!