Particle trail trick not working. Weird error on dopnet.

Fetavo

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Houdini and I'm trying to add some trails to a particle sim with dying particles. I tried using the old trick of using a Trail SOP and then an Add SOP set to id, but it's still not working. I don't know why but the Add SOP just straight up ignores the id after the first particle dies and connects random points. I've tried making a whole new sim in a brand new file and the error still occurs.
I followed a few forum posts and a video tutorial on this method, so I'm pretty sure I'm not just messing this up on some setting. Might be some error on the version of Houdini I'm using? I'm using Houdini 18.0.348.

Also Houdini gives me is a weird warning on the DOP network that says "Bad geometry blend due to mismatched point or primitive counts.". I didn't find any results to what this could be, and it shows up no matter what geo I source in. 

I've attached a file with a test scene giving the same errors. Thanks in advance!

TrailsNotWorking.hiplc

error.png

Your problem is with the trail increment. You'll get this error unless it is a multiple of 1 divided by the simulation substeps. So since your sim has 1 substep the trail increment has to be a multiple of 1. If you had 5 substeps it would have to be a multiple of 0.2 etc.