Particle stutter effect

WAV94

Hello,

I'm working on a project, where I want to make particles emanate from a human shaped character, but I want the particle flow to feel as if handdrawn, i.e. with notable 'frames', though I still want them to flow in a fast pace (see attached video example). I can do this in Blender (where I mainly work on the project) by making the particle simulation skip 4 out of 5 frames when I cache it out, and then slow the video down significantly when editing the video later. But this method doesn't work when I want to animate the characters, because then I'd have to take all the retiming into account when doing the animations, and that'd be to big of a hassle.

So I'm thinking of a way to set this up in Houdini, so that I can import the animated characters from Blender and add the particles here instead. Using a pretty basic setup with a popsolver in a dop network, I'm thinking the most obvious way to achieve this effect would be to make the simulation really fast, and then somehow make the particles freeze for 4 frames every 5 frames, so that I get a result similar to what I made in Blender, but directly in the simulation instead of having to retime the video material later.

Is there a way to make a particle simulation behave like this? Or should I go about it another way?

Thanks in advance!

//William

Skygger_test1_68%.mp4

Dop.PNG