save particle velocities every frame

hmihalis1

Hi All,

TL;DR - How do you save particle velocities each frame to feedback into a sim?

I'm working on a particle effect for rain on a window. Currently adapting a nice example from Toadstorm.

I've made some changes to his setup. He has new particles growing over time and becoming droplets past a certain pscale, so i've derived mass from pscale to connect droplet size and speed, as the wind force i'm using to move them is not set to ignore mass.

video

I added a sop solver after the DOP to delete still particles touched by moving ones. And a popinteract and a popfluid to try and get the moving drops to coalesce and follow each other as they move down, but this has only slightly worked.

Ideally i'd like to write the velocities of the moving drops into a volume which could then come back into the sim the advect the particles, or some other technique that follow make it so that new drops hitting and existing trail would follow its path precisely, and add a little to their speed and size. I presume I would use a sop solver inside my DOP network for this, but no clue beyond that.

Any advice much appreciated,

H :)

windowdrops-uv3-w.mp4

Edited by hmihalis1