Destroying an existing, predefined stone wall

HudyWannabe

Hi guys,

most of the tutorials I see on the internet teaches destruction based on assets that are built before being destroyed, giving full control over all the pieces.

But how would you approach a situation, where you get an existing wall, maybe a scan of a stone wall, such as the one in my attachment.

Let's say I want to keep the stones intact but fracture only the cement binding them? Do I draw poly around all the stones and them boolean fracture? Or maybe I can extract such information from a texture map?

I'm pretty new to the amazing Houdini, so I would be very grateful for any tips. Thank you! :)

old-stone-wall-3.jpg

Edited by HudyWannabe

Hi Pawel,

how about you apply the texture to a high density grid, choose the best contrast channel in a suitable color space, increase the value difference and use this for re-meshing?

image.png.754e813ec684505a76e18b73726749d6.png

That way you should end up with fine edges for the binding and a differentiated strength attribute for constraints, particle emission and such.

stone_tex_filter.hipnc