Cut geometry based on light

MortenBøhne

pighead.JPG.918b3da122e76d350c9b70fb1cada4f5.JPGI'm trying to create a tool that cuts out shadows on a mesh, and transforms the uv's of the shadow-part. The setup only needs to work with one directional light, and only needs to divide into light/dark (no soft shadow or bands)
Our artists usually work in maya, but I figured houdini would be perfect for this task, and a good excuse to introduce houdini engine to the studio.

My approach so far has been to create a grid and orient it with the light, and use a ray-node to project it to the target-geometry, transfer a color attribute, and then cut based on color value. I've added an attributeblur to give the artist a bit of control over the cut.

From here I need to find a way of controlling the grid (orientation based on light, position based on target-geometry, size based on target geometry), to ensure the rays are casts onto the entire target geometry

How can i control the grids position and orientation based on nodes outside the subnet (tagert-geometry, light-direction)?

subnet.thumb.JPG.9f773234452098e1c4ef059362b3f620.JPG

I'm also looking to find a way to control the detail of the cuts. Currently I'm limited by the resolution of the target geometry, but i would like a way to allow the artist to control the amount of detail on the cut

cut_detail.thumb.JPG.6431d4497bd275ae40678a1ee1656ce8.JPG
I'm thinking this could be achieved by subdividing the target geometry, but from there i need to find a way of transferring the subdivided cuts to the original mesh

I'm still new to houdini, so any help on how to solve those two steps -or if there is a smarter approach for creating the tool altogether, would be greatly appreciated :)

viewport.JPG

shadow_cut.hipnc

Thanks, that sure simplifies it a lot!

transfer_cuts.thumb.JPG.f38b93e9cd022422ccd53bdd4745c8e7.JPG

Any idea how I can transfer the cuts made on the subdivided geometry onto the original geo?

Right now i'm generating curves from the cut-edges and using that to polySplit the original geo, but I have a feeling that could be done a lot simpler too

subdivision_depth=1I'm trying to keep the original topology for the non-cut primitives by deleting non-original points that are not part of the cuts. Sadly this approach only work at subdivision depth=1, but as soon as I increase the depth, this approach is giving me problems:

Not sure if this is a dead-end if i want to control the subdivision depth further but still keep the topology of my original object

original_points

shadow_cut.hipnc

• Like 1