Volumesampleindex returning 0

outposttom

Hi,

I'm currently trying to implement a smoke volume that wraps around the X-axis. Essentially taking the values of the final voxels on the +X axis and applying them to -X. The VEX below should be doing what I want, but its returning zero every time. Am I missing something? I've tried deriving the voxel coordinate procedurally, as well as manually specifying a good known coordinate, and every time I get an empty result. Its driving me mad!

float scratchpad = chf('scratchpad');
int far_voxel = floor(ch('../smokeobject1/sizex') / ch('../smokeobject1/divsize'));
vector sample_pos = volumeindextopos(0, "density", set(far_voxel, @iy, @iz));
if(@ix == 0){
    //f@density = 1.0;
    //f@density = volumeindex(0, "density", set(far_voxel, i@iy, i@iz));
    //v@vel = volumeindex(0, "vel", set(far_voxel, i@iy, i@iz));
    f@density = volumesample(0, "density", sample_pos);
    v@vel = volumesamplev(0, "vel", sample_pos);
}

The commented out lines are different methods I've tried with no success. So far I've tried using volumeindex to read the voxel values directly, and volumesample using a position derived from volumeindextopos. No dice :(

Any ideas folks?

(the attached image shows the current behavior using the wrangle VEX above. What should be happening is the density and velocity values on +X boundary should be being copied into the -X boundary voxels)

wrapping_volume.PNG