Installing Octane

Hi all,

I am trying to install Octane Demo for Houdini 18.5.532 Education. No matter what I do I keep running into the following error. As in, Octane appears on my Shelf but none of the buttons work.

The error:

image.png.6c0e4dd270441170df30dbb4b81cacff.png

Error details:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Add_Octane_ROP", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python2.7libs\roptoolutils.py", line 10, in createRenderNode
    rop = hou.node('/out').createNode(rop_type, exact_type_name=exact_type_name)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python2.7libs\houpythonportion\ui.py", line 1081, in decorator
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py", line 13132, in createNode
    return _hou.Node_createNode(self, node_type_name, node_name, run_init_scripts, load_contents, exact_type_name, force_valid_node_name)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Invalid node type name

To install it I created a following octane.json in packages folder (exactly the same syntax/setup that works with Redshift):

{
    "env": [
        {
            "PATH": "C:\Octane_2020.2.3.0_Houdini_18.5.532_demo_Win64\bin",
            "method": "append"
        }
    ],
    "path": "C:\Octane_2020.2.3.0_Houdini_18.5.532_demo_Win64"
}

Things I am struggling to understand:

1. Do I need Octane standalone installation to run Octane Demo in Houdini? Their website claims I don't

2. Does it simply not work with an Education license?

Would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

image.png

Haven't tried installing Octane and I'm kind of new to the whole .json way of doing it, but I'll include my layout for Arnold. One thing I'd be particularly mindful of is your last line:

"path": "C:\Octane_2020.2.3.0_Houdini_18.5.532_demo_Win64"

To me, this just looks like it is trying to explicitly set the whole path variable to be just the path to your octane demo. Maybe it could help to change around the "\" to "/". I've often found that most programs prefer the "/" to the "\" since "\" is often used as an escape character.

My layout:

{
    "env" : 
    [
        {"HOUDINI_PATH":"C:/solidangle/htoadeploy/htoa-5.5.0.1_r45f2926_houdini-18.5.351"},
        {"PATH":"C:/solidangle/htoadeploy/htoa-5.5.0.1_r45f2926_houdini-18.5.351/scripts/bin"}
    ]
}

• Thanks 1