Rendering Points From Add Sop

aracid

hey all

Why can i render particles POPS from houdini,

and i can change them using the primitive sop,

BUT i cant render points made with the add sop?

I know i can copy spheres onto the points,

but this is essentially something im trying to do with realflow(thousands of points) and copying the spheres onto the points doesnt seem like the best logical route.

thanks in advance

brian :blink:

try point instancing

hey all

Why can i render particles POPS from houdini,

and i can change them using the primitive sop,

BUT i cant render points made with the add sop?

I know i can copy spheres onto the points,

but this is essentially something im trying to do with realflow(thousands of points) and copying the spheres onto the points doesnt seem like the best logical route.

thanks in advance

brian :blink:

try point instancing

so you saying i should instance a primitive sphere ?

cause i tried that, i just wondered if that was the quickest way?

the reason why i ask is because when i render 30 000 particles generated from the particle sop, its really quick to render, even as spheres and also, when i save out the ifd, the file size is 2mb

however when i instance the 30 000 particles with a sphere, the ifd is 18MB, and the render (load) time is slower by a larger margin.

thats why i was wondering if there was another way of just converting the points to primitives.

essentially, i want to be able to use the primitive sop to define what type of point i want to render, ie sphere, tube, etc

because i when i render the point from an add sop, they're flat shaded and houdini's points out of the particle sop are little spheres.

and I'm basically looking for little spheres so i can determing their specular.

any other idea?

thanks again

brian

Have you tried copying a single particle with the appropirate render attributes to those 30 000 points and rendering that?

hey stu

i always forget the obvious, that definately works.

However im still left with quite a long cook, i was hoping it was something along the lines of creating an attribute or something that could convert points to a particle system?

thanks again anyways

brian

so you saying i should instance a primitive sphere ?

cause i tried that, i just wondered if that was the quickest way?

any other idea?

thanks again

brian

Umm... What about rendering as points? In the object render tab? I think it uses the "width" attribute to determine the radius of the point.

There's only one shade called per point, so you can't do very many fancy lighting tricks, but this is probably the fastest way to render points that I know.

Otherwise, instead of instancing, what kind of file size do you get if you copy a sphere to each point?

hey all

mmm, maybe im confusing myself here,

basically i have a particle system that when i render, it produces little spheres :-)

if i render a geometry produced from the realflow importer, which basically produces thousands of points, it produces nothing.

I could copy spheres onto each point, it obviously produces the look im going for <_<

but more fundamentally, why with a particle system with OF -

----------

15200 Points

1 Primitive

15200 Vertex

1 Particle System

----------

Does it render faster and produce spheres when rendering :-)

But when i Render 15200 points (ie from realflow),

----------

15200 points

0 primitive

0 vertex

----------

it produces nothing, unless i specify points under the render tab.

this is fine, if im looking for flat lit disks.

there is essentially something different about this, compared to the little spheres produced with houdinis particles.

When i copy the sphere onto the points i get a long cook - but essentially the same thing as the pop network - however, it takes MUCH longer.

----------

15200 points

15200 primitives

15200 vertex

15200 spheres

----------

This seems like a long way round and a memory hogger,

How can i convert the points to render like spheres (just like in a particle system) with out having to copy spheres onto the points, because that creates 15200 primitives (long cook)?

i know this is a long winded question, but Im failing too see why i need to use the copy node to produce something that doesnt need to actually be there in the first place (ie particles system doesnt have 15200 primitives)

thanks all again

brian

popNet.rar