Portal light = Portal light?

In Maya a Portal light redirects lights from outside though itself to the inside, a bit like a wifi repeater.

In Houdini, I've watched this: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/portal-light/ 

but there was no light outside to redirect, it seems the portal light (actually an environment light) is emitting light itself. Is the portal light in Houdini just a geometry light? 

Why does it matter? I need the exact light coming out of the hdri to be pushed inside / redirected using the portal light.

ipr 1. no portal light, just hdr, no other lights

ipr 2. added a grid covering the window, and turned it into a "portal light", kept everything default, which clearly ruins the realism from the hdr because I'm adding a flat white colour.

ipr 3. changed the "portal light" color to red

ipr 4. tried to repair the damage by at least adding a texture from the hdr instead of the flat white colour. which turns it into a area light with a texture.

A portal light should be just the middleman: takes light from outside and reroutes it inside, shouldn't emit.

The portal light in Houdini is NOT a portal light, it's a redundant duplicate of an area light.

1.no_portal_light.png

2.portal_light_grid_window_default.png

3.portal_light_grid_window_red.png

4.portal_light_grid_window_texture_from_hdr.png