Hi,

I Need some info. 

My workstation is about 6 years old. It is a Core i7 6700K. (core is just 4).

But I put more memory for learning Houdini. it is now 64 GB Ram.
My Graphics card is 750ti 4GB memory.

I plan to buy "ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 Twin Edge OC Graphics Card" and subscribe to Redshift Render. So far I know Graphics cards are very important. But budget is an issue.

1. What do you think about my current system with GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB? Can I handle a professional freelancing job with rendering? I intend to get a redshift subscription also.

2.Are these enough to do a professional level job as well as courses provided in Rebelway water fx courses as well as other vfx courses?

3. Is Ram bus speed (MHz) important? Or should I just focus on Capacity (GB)?

4.  If I don't buy the graphics card then I can get the latest intel cpu (Core i9 12900K Processor) with 128 GB ram. I can use my old 750ti 4GB memory graphics card.

I intend to do a lot of fluid simulation as well as other effects Houdini provides.

Please give me honest professional advice. As it is a one time investment. I can't afford more until I start earning.
Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...

Well, for redshift you absolutely need a gpu with 6GB vram. Better 8 or more. So a 3060ti would be a budget friendly start.

For sims, you need as much ram and raw cpu power as possible. For getting started, I would say 64GB at least with a current 8-12 core cpu.

If your budget doesnot allow for doing both, I would recommend: Upgrade ram and cpu and stick with karma. When you earned money with it, buy an entry level card like the 3060ti. And leave your old gpu in for driving the monitors.  This will save you quite a bit vram on your 3060ti. You will benefit from faster preview sims and much faster karma (xpu) rendering. At this level going for redshift will be an option.

Alternative budget wise for starting with redshift: Look for a cheap used gtx 1070 until can afford a rtx.

Edited by bollili