Calculate the rotation difference between two similar geometries

ch3

In short, how can I calculate the transformation matrix, or just rotation similar to how a geometry constraint/rivet works, where you define a few points as reference to glue a geo to an animated one?

Long one:
I want to procedurally animate the preroll of some packed RBDs, by comparing frame 1 and 2 of the simulation and project the objects backwards in time using that offset. It's a pre-broken sphere, so for translation, I find the average position of all points for both frames to calculate the offset per frame, which works great. [@P -= offset * backwardFrame;]

The rotation part isn't as accurate though. I believe multiplying a rotation matrix with a scalar [@P*= rotMatrix*time] doesn't produce the desired results, so I am trying to calculate an axis and a rotation value that describes the difference between these two frames. I am currently picking the positions of 1 random but similar point in both geometries relative to their center, which I cross to find the axis. Then I use an acos(dot()) to get the angle between these two vectors. It almost works, but not 100% and picking a different point changes the result a bit. I guess that's happening because I need to take in consideration more than 1 points into the two geometry.

thank you

Edited by ch3