Cotton Is Making Me Insane!

Allegro

I've got a close-up of cotton bolls in my short that I'm working on. I've been trying for a couple days now to get somethings satisfactory with maya fur, but I'm just not getting anything that looks soft enough!

Does anyone know of a way that I could get something that looks like realistic cotton, in Houdini? Or a suggestion of how to do it in Maya?

At the moment, this is the best result that I seem to be getting... and... it just doesn't look real!

post-1288-1171948108_thumb.jpg

looking at a picture like this:

http://www.uark.edu/depts/agripub/Publicat...s/cotton201.jpg

I do not think you need hair or fur

geometry wise, houdini metaballs with a lot of tweaking via copy stamping to get the coarse and fine resolution bits to pull off at diffeent scales

lighting wise, it is a SSS solution

texture wise, a photographic or scan of real cotton is the starting point, the important thing will be to try to 'tease and swirl' the uv's around a bit, making them sympathetic to the surface deformations.

a particle stsytem that grows from an lsystem might be a good starting point. attribute transfer might be a tool to use to 'evolve' the uv's a few steps beyond the growth of the metaballs, thus giving a UV smear that folllows the organic growth

depending on your shot, you might be suprsed at how much you can fake using photographs.

MD

looking at a picture like this:

http://www.uark.edu/depts/agripub/Publicat...s/cotton201.jpg

I do not think you need hair or fur

geometry wise, houdini metaballs with a lot of tweaking via copy stamping to get the coarse and fine resolution bits to pull off at diffeent scales

lighting wise, it is a SSS solution

texture wise, a photographic or scan of real cotton is the starting point, the important thing will be to try to 'tease and swirl' the uv's around a bit, making them sympathetic to the surface deformations.

a particle stsytem that grows from an lsystem might be a good starting point. attribute transfer might be a tool to use to 'evolve' the uv's a few steps beyond the growth of the metaballs, thus giving a UV smear that folllows the organic growth

depending on your shot, you might be suprsed at how much you can fake using photographs.

MD

I hate to say that I really have limited shading knowledge in Houdini. I'm very interested in what you have to say, but I'm not sure I really understand. If you don't mind explaining in a bit more depth, I would really appreciate it. At this point, I've wasted so much time on this shot that I feel like I should just paint it, and then camera project... but at the same time, I really want to be able to do this in 3d... It's a personal project... so... I really want to learn something new, not just do it for the sake of getting it done.

I eventually wanted to add in a butterfly or something moving on the surface... so, that's why I wanted it in 3d... but... I don't think I'll have time for that anymore. All I know is that after further experimentation today, Maya Fur is *not* the solution.

Edited by Allegro