create curve from points with bezier handle-type interpolation

hmihalis1

Hi all, 

can anyone please help me - I need to connect points in a certain order and then resample them to create the path with more specific/controllable bezier type interpolation rather than the default ouput of the resample sop as seen in yellow. 

Essentially I need a way to control the arriving/leaving orientation and the magnitude/stiffness, so beizer curves and handles in 3d would do the trick i think..

Been stuck on this for weeks would be amazing if someone can point me in the right direction - can i use the new curve sop somehow? the setup needs to be procedural and follow from the position of the points in blue and red.

many thanks for any advice, 

H

interpolation.thumb.png.5ea7895f24a0d02244b01c84f93e5974.png

Edited by hmihalis1
edit

• 2 weeks later...

Any polygon can be interpreted as a Bezier curve.

All you need to do is add two points for each linear segment so that Curve SOP can interpret them as the handles.

Two additional points per segment means that it must be interpreted as a Bezier Order 4 curve down the road; this is the order most program use because it's the most intuitive for us humans.

If you want to go full procedural, split the polygon with convertline / facet (unique points), in a for loop over the primitives do a resample Max segments  = 3, then put the segments together with  a: polypath, connect end points.

You can input this in Curve SOP, Bezier Curve Order 4 (the default) and you will have access to the Curve SOP tools to edit the curve interactively.

You can also procedurally move the handle ( the points that were added at the Resample step) if you feel like it. 

bezier.png

On 20/07/2022 at 2:32 PM, hmihalis1 said:

Hi all, 

can anyone please help me - I need to connect points in a certain order and then resample them to create the path with more specific/controllable bezier type interpolation rather than the default ouput of the resample sop as seen in yellow. 

Essentially I need a way to control the arriving/leaving orientation and the magnitude/stiffness, so beizer curves and handles in 3d would do the trick i think..

Been stuck on this for weeks would be amazing if someone can point me in the right direction - can i use the new curve sop somehow? the setup needs to be procedural and follow from the position of the points in blue and red.

many thanks for any advice, 

H

interpolation.thumb.png.5ea7895f24a0d02244b01c84f93e5974.png

There is an even faster path than reply #1

Just add a Convert SOP after your 123456 polygon, with Bezier Curve Order 4, and check: interpolate through Hulls; this last option will add the points I was talking about earlier;

then drop a Curve SOP after that and adjust the handles in Edit mode.