Curious Solaris 'Cache' node

apparently solaris will re-evaluate every node that follows an animated / time dependent node, unless you put a cache node after it - 

I'm just wondering if Houdini/Mantra and other apps have always re-evaluated everything - such that this is a nice new feature? Or is this just what solaris needs to keep parity with original Houdini? 

Regular Houdini has had a cache node ever since I remember, however I seldom use it.  Before the "time" SOPs existed, the cache node was a good way to do time-warp effects.

However, the cache node in Solaris does double duty AFAIK... it caches data so indeed it does not need to be recalculated and also, as the docs say, "This node is also useful to enable motion blur in the viewport for transformation data authored in the LOP network."

And yes, Houdini evaluates everything time-dependant every frame.  Every frame is a whole new world and by default each frame knows nothing about the previous frame unless you are using a solver of some sort.