Monster Mac

zoki

I think Houdini (8 or 9) would run without problem on any of those boxes. The sad fact is that Houdini itself would only use one core of one processor. I do hope in time this would change, especially for processor hungry tasks like DOPs.

But it would be nice for multi processor rendering, now that Mantra tokens are unlimited.

Dragos

on that note,

I would love too hear what u guys are running on, and i dont want this to be a duck measuring contest, but its always interesting what guys are using.

so ill go first,

2 computers, sharing the same Dell Dual LCD, 24" wide screens, and little switcher.

1: Quadro FX 4500 - 512mb RAM, XEON 3.2GHz, 4 GIG ram, on dual boot XP and redhat 9 enterprise & wacom tablet.

2: Quadro FX 256MB, XEON 2.8 dual core. 4 GIG ram, suse 10.1 - my little simulation hore.

anyone else ?

I think Houdini (8 or 9) would run without problem on any of those boxes. The sad fact is that Houdini itself would only use one core of one processor. I do hope in time this would change, especially for processor hungry tasks like DOPs.

But it would be nice for multi processor rendering, now that Mantra tokens are unlimited.

Dragos

Why do you think so? Afaik houdini uses multiple threads where possible (DOPs is another issue). Not mentioning rendering.

========================

AMD 4600+ X2

4Gig Corsair Ram

NVidia 7800 GTX 512RAM

WindowsXP+Suse10.1

Why do you think so? Afaik houdini uses multiple threads where possible (DOPs is another issue). Not mentioning rendering.

As far as I'm aware, the only multithreaded areas of Houdini are VEX and COPs (despite their multithreading, COPs still manage to be unbelievably slow when doing transformations).

I 've hardly been able to see more than 25% CPU usage on a dual core dual Xeon when using Houdini (I must admit I didn't try very hard but I did stay with the Task Manager open for half an hour while playing around in SOPs with some heavy geometry.)

Dragos

I'm glad they released 8.2 and I can run my heavy sims without memory exceptions, but I'm still waiting for the fully multi-threaded 64bit windows version!

Bought a Clovertown quad in November with windows x64, and 6 gb of ram. When more programs start supporting 64bit, I'll consider adding a second quad into the machine.