Houdini, The First Person Shooter

Vormav

Hey guys. I got bored today, and even though I have a lot of work to get done, I somehow decided that this would be far more productive.

Here's a short (crappy) camstudio clip of my first attempt:

http://vfxportfolio.com/files/houdiniFPS_lowRes.mov

Translations (forward/backward, strafe) are working fine. I also have a key hooked up to the activation of the source node in the POP network that fires bullets off into the scene (if you couldn't guess it from the video, those were supposed to be bullet holes ;) ), and that's working perfectly.

A mouse CHOP hooks into the rotation of the camera, so that I sort of get fps-like controls over the view... but synchronizing all of that up perfectly is a challenge. So, that part of it isn't fully functional. And I haven't even made an attempt at camera collision detection yet (hence why I slipped through the wall in the video!)

Anyone else ever tried something like this?

Edited by Vormav

Hey guys. I got bored today, and even though I have a lot of work to get done, I somehow decided that this would be far more productive.

Anyone else ever tried something like this?

mwahaha... You've certainly got much free time.

This reminds me of maya people discussing creating all kinds of 'games' and simulations via Maya Dynamics. So - here comes H =)

btw - I've also got a small project similar to this (more about cars and racing though).