foam/splash on spectrum ocean

toto974

hello everyone, I have seen many videos showing effects "foam/splash tools". I also tried to reproduce it but without much success. your help and especially your knowledge will be welcome to reproduce this effect on ocean spectrum. this method avoids heavy ocean simulation and has a very beautiful realistic visual.

if forum users want to share their knowledge :) sorry for my bad english

THANKS

or

my hip files.

test.hipnc

• 3 months later...

Im not at computer. The whitewater node get an emission attribute call "emit" which is bunch of particles, it has scale = pscale. You can custom source emission for whitewater without use an input like flip result.

To move particles inside whitewater, the solver need a surface field to snap particles on and process any of condition input like velocity from a vel field, these can modify as well, the ocean already create volume if you use that

the ship can generate point velocity and collision into collision field, these helps advect the whitewater

Once you had whitewater, select part of its spray (airborne points), generate additional spray over by using pop, use volumesample, volumegradient inside pop to dectect collison

So I guess now you have all ingredient to create similar video effects. 

Edited by paranoidx
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:48 AM, paranoidx said:

Im not at computer. The whitewater node get an emission attribute call "emit" which is bunch of particles, it has scale = pscale. You can custom source emission for whitewater without use an input like flip result.

To move particles inside whitewater, the solver need a surface field to snap particles on and process any of condition input like velocity from a vel field, these can modify as well, the ocean already create volume if you use that

the ship can generate point velocity and collision into collision field, these helps advect the whitewater

Once you had whitewater, select part of its spray (airborne points), generate additional spray over by using pop, use volumesample, volumegradient inside pop to dectect collison

So I guess now you have all ingredient to create similar video effects. 

hello "paranoidx" and thank you for your explanation and solution, I am a "novice" on Houdini so reproducing what you explained to me is complicated for me because I don't have enough knowledge....do you have a hip files example of your approach to sharing the method? Thanks a lot.

On 1/21/2024 at 9:47 AM, paranoidx said:

there is a thread to show how to do emit whitewater attribute, and file in the bottom of page:

hello, yes thank you I downloaded the hip files from this post to have foan/whitewater on the surface of the ocean, but the main problem is a generation of foam during collisions between boat and ocean, rock and ocean, obtain the velocity/force collision with "vex" code as to generate the particles as in the videos at the top of the post....

• Like 1

Yes and and if you work for a while with Houdini water effects, from that sample you will know how to do your own way already. That was the way for all FX shot in far distance view of camera, they did that, like boat wake for now deform kelvin in Lab nodes exist, less simulation time, even used texture for foam like in Midway