Pop Question

Visual Cortex Lab

Hey there,

I'm trying to get particles to be influences accordingly to their "origin" attribute (or a workaround)..

problem is.. I've got a sourcePOP which emits particles from, let's say, a input SOP that have 50 primitives...

by adding the origin attribute to such source and then a groupPOP i can group particles by their emitter primitive.. which is fine...

now the effect I need is that interactPOP would consider each particles of same group only... let me try to explain... I want particles from group_1 to interact only with particles of group_1.. and same for group_2.. until group_N ...

I hope my "engrish" is clear enought for you to understand :D

thanks in advance for any help.

[one' date=May 9 2007, 09:31 AM' post='35747]

Hey there,

I'm trying to get particles to be influences accordingly to their "origin" attribute (or a workaround)..

problem is.. I've got a sourcePOP which emits particles from, let's say, a input SOP that have 50 primitives...

by adding the origin attribute to such source and then a groupPOP i can group particles by their emitter primitive.. which is fine...

now the effect I need is that interactPOP would consider each particles of same group only... let me try to explain... I want particles from group_1 to interact only with particles of group_1.. and same for group_2.. until group_N ...

I hope my "engrish" is clear enought for you to understand :D

thanks in advance for any help.

hi sumone, is your origin primitive polygon/nurbs/etc? The origin attribute will pick up its origin depending on whether you're using point or surface etc. So perhaps the GroupPOP couldn't capture the points becuase the conditions haven't weren't met? Is this the problem youre having or I misunderstood you? I just tried it earlier, and it seems to work for me. Although at first it did tripped me because I thought I my origin attribute would only range from 0-3 (for 4 spheres that I have), but as it turns out, becuase I am emitting from the polygon surface, my origin attribute actually goes from 0-nprim.

As for how to get a single interactPOp to only affect particles whose origin matches its own, that might be tough to do, I think... (at least that's what I thought at the moment without spending time) -- which in this case, I think may be it'd be much easier to roll your own interactPOP via VEX's pointcloud. Not sure... :unsure:

my origin primitives are polygons... and origin is correctly...and by using groupPOP with "rand" enabled.. and $ORIGIN as "group index" parameters.. I get all the particles group correctly created...

then yeah, you got it right.. my problem is about interacting particles only within groups... and I'm evaluating building a custom interact cause seems the only way to do that..

thanks