Realistic Splash Simulation

Hey guys. I've been a lurker on the forums for quite some time and I just recently made an account to post. All the work that you all do is just absolutely mind-boggling.

I'm a student in a Particles and Procedural Effects class and I need some help with a project we're currently working on.

My assignment is to develop a splash simulation of a cannonball hitting water in Houdini. You can see my progress so far in the files I linked at the bottom of the post. One of my biggest concerns, however, is getting the actual splash spray itself to look more realistic. I've played with spare channels a bit, only getting the scale factor to adjust itself as the particles birth.

I'm really at a lost at this point, however. I'm not entirely sure how I should design a shader, or if I should even use metaballs for the splash particles. Any ideas on some better splash techniques? Some tips or some advice? Thanks a ton for your time, too!

Prettz

P.S.: Sadly, we're not allowed to use RealFlow. Out of the question! =(

http://files.filefront.com/Cannon_Splashzi...;/fileinfo.html