Split Particles

Bernard

Hello,

I've got an object colliding with a sprite particle system (flames).

Out of this collision I generate particles with the collision POP and split POP (sparks).

Now I want to render my flames as Sprites and the sparks( split particles) as points.

How can I setup this system, cause for the moment all my particles are rendered as sprites...?

many thanks,

bern

You should be using a collect POP to bring the source chain and the split chain together if you aren't already.

You have two particle primitives created: one from the Source POP and one from the Split POP. This gives you quite a few options. You can verify this by pressing the MMB to get the info on any of the POPs in the network.

You can add the requisite Sprite POP to the Source POP chain (before it feeds in to the Split POP). Then on the Split POP chain, you can put your Render POP and the Property POP to randomize the size if you wish.

Now outside in SOPs after the Particle SOP, use two delete SOPs to split up the two primitives. One set to primitive 1 and the other to 2.

Because the Sprite procedural is currently set upa at the Object level in H8, you have to create a new object and either merge in the splits or the sprites in to this new object. It doesn't matter. Just make sure that the object rendering the sprites is set to use the sprite procedural.

You end up with two objects: Sprites and particles.

You should be using a collect POP to bring the source chain and the split chain together if you aren't already.

You have two particle primitives created: one from the Source POP and one from the Split POP. This gives you quite a few options. You can verify this by pressing the MMB to get the info on any of the POPs in the network.

You can add the requisite Sprite POP to the Source POP chain (before it feeds in to the Split POP). Then on the Split POP chain, you can put your Render POP and the Property POP to randomize the size if you wish.

Now outside in SOPs after the Particle SOP, use two delete SOPs to split up the two primitives. One set to primitive 1 and the other to 2.

Because the Sprite procedural is currently set upa at the Object level in H8, you have to create a new object and either merge in the splits or the sprites in to this new object. It doesn't matter. Just make sure that the object rendering the sprites is set to use the sprite procedural.

You end up with two objects: Sprites and particles.

Thanks old school,

is it possible to post a little hip file, cause I don't get it to work....

The Collect POP get's some new users to POPs. Here's a simple example file.

sprites_spheres_pop_combo.hip

I created two objects on top of the particle object: sprites, sparks that object merge in the correct particle primitive.

Note that in the viewport, you can only see all your particles as either points, lines or sprites. There's currently no way to set the display type for each particle primitive. You have to render to see the different particle primitives render as sprites and in my case capped tubes.