Select beveled primitives

taras2991

Hi guys! 

Any idea on how can I procedurally select these primitives if the model has not been created within Houdini. I already tried using curvature measure but I couldn't achieve a good result that worked on several models.

Normals.png

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to use weighted normals in Houdini for mid poly workflow like I used to do in Modo, but I can't achieve the same result. In Modo, the normal calculation seems to be different; even with many small primitives in flat areas, it gives you the perfect result. However, in Houdini, it only works if I use "calculate normal by face area," and before that, I need to delete all flattened edges. I've been trying to find a workaround for this issue, and the only way I found is to delete beveled primitives, calculate the normals, and then transfer them to the original mesh.

Here is the old file with mesh to compare normal from Modo and Houdini.  

modo_normals (1).hip

Edited by taras2991

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Librarian said:

@taras2991  play with up dir and front dir it works

yt.jpg

haaa! Yes, it's working now. Thanks! But it's not exactly what I was looking for. The idea is to select these beveled primitives procedurally in any model.

I want to delete the primitives used to calculate normals and transfer them to the original mesh. This is the only way I found to achieve a good result for the weighted normal workflow. 

photo1716636179 (1).jpeg

weighted_normals_houdini.hipnc

Edited by taras2991

On 5/25/2024 at 1:59 PM, Librarian said:

Got it! I just had to dissolve the flat edges, calculate the point normals using the face area, and then promote them to vertex normals. After that, I just needed to transfer the normals back to the original mesh. This method helps achieve better normal results when working with weighted normals for a mid-poly workflow in Houdini. Any way thannks for the help Tesan!