Top 10 Reasons To Use Xsi

Eh, seems like pretty typical marketing hype to me.

What I've never understood, though, is how this kind of marketing even works for software with such a niche market. Surely most of the people that are actually in a position to fork out the money for these applications make their decisions based on a lot more than boastful marketing ploys, right?

It could be worse though. It could be a game studio advertising their next-gen game engine.

"ALL NEW REVOLUTIONARY NORMAL MAPPING TECHNOLOGY PRODUCES LIFE-LIKE RESULTS IN REAL-TIME!!!" I swear, if I hear it just one more time... :shocking:

Lot's of people certainly feel like wearing softimage's hat and blouse;];] after visiting their site.

Perhaps sidefx should borrow a bit of that policy and have a slogan like :

"The all new non destructive CHOPS technology makes houdini so easy that you can animate a tsunami in 5 minutes without even ceasing to spread butter on your breakfast toast"

Well, ok, not too many fancy words there :P

Let's invent some...CHOPper, POPulator, DOPamine, Al COPone, SOPsoup, and the brand new tool for deleting polygons : ULTRAdel2 ;)

:D

I would happily wear a SESI or Houdini hat and t-shirt and whatever. If only they were available. :whistling:

Ok, ok, I've got their leather wallet :P

About the names, they'd be nothing bad but there has to stand some serious tech behind to defend them.

Houdini "OPs" are very cool IMO but they deserve all the coolness in the world.

On the other hand I'm in a deep sorrow because of XSI since I used it for a few years, believing it'd become a more allround software, and certain minor errors would be fixed.

While "scratching the surface" (modelling, interacting with the UI) is truly efficient, and I totally agree that subd's are amazing, the software is quite limited.

They look like being focused on character animation only.

Speaking of this, I think SESI should actually do a little more to put Houdini in evidence. When I got my Escape license, I simply got an email and that's it. When I go into another studio, I can see those guys proudly displaying their Maya or Max packages on their desks or somewhere visible on a bookcase.

Now, I'm sure that many Houdini users do not consider this important. I do. A producer from an agency coming into a small studio like ours is noticing those details (especially in countries with a high piracy rate, when not everybody is actually buying their software).

I don't think they should make a package for Houdini, but sending a poster or a kind of "licence/diploma" (or even a print-yourself PDF by email), stating something like "Proud owner of a Houdini License" :) , which I can put on my desk or hang on the wall, would be very nice.

Dragos