Top 10 Reasons To Use Xsi

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/top10reasons.aspx

well, I really dislike xsi's interface.... (yeah I am one of those who need to like the interface I look at all day long... and yes I like the minimalism in design of houdini's interface :)

and it is funny how they push this indestructible workflow thing...

like they invented it :P

and I really miss more lazy-user friendly shading in houdini... and I miss an option to hide the timeline, old habit from maya... :)

Edited by djorzgul

Yes, I saw this and it just confirms how low-down and dirty a company Softimage are. XSI is a great product and can stand well enough on it's own two feet without the need for sly cheap-shots at Max. I hope the ad backfires for them. Have they still got the world believing they invented Gator and what about this - http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/vide...spx?video_id=22 :-

Delta Referencing technology is a breakthrough approach to collaborative 3D animation, offering studios the first core architecture for production-level referencing.

sounds alot like a hybrid of otls and takes to me - though granted, with a plusher-looking all-in-one interface (and less flexible too, no doubt :o ).

Someone should set up a blog or something where users can submit false/misleading/underhanded marketing claims where the losing company gets presented with an award at Siggraph. They'll certainly think twice about not playing fair next time round.

All said and done, the idea of the ad itself - bullet pointing the main features - is a good one and I'd sure hope SESI do something similar with H9, as the insult aside, it all looks very swish.

:)

I like the dude with the glowing finger. He's pretty cool.

I do dream of gigapoly processing, but since a large portion of that is marketing speak it's hard to take any of it as actual fact.

In a previous company we changed modeling pipeline from mainly max to maya and xsi

because previous max versions didnt handle high poly count well.

nowadays huge meshes from zbrush or mudbox are necessary, and this was one of the main reasons in deciding for xsi.

They also have very strong (compared to maya and max ) attribute transfer and we did a lot of normal map and uv transfer from huge meshes to low poly and the other way around.

testing for all these changes I actualy had 40 million mesh imported as obj in maya but couldnt manipulate it-delete faces or anything but at least didnt crash on import

i dont like this sw bashing but one thing is sure the more I work with houdini the more I like it and I NEVER get and urge to go back to maya or max, xsi

now all their architecture seems very confined and stiff to me unless you write three pages of custom code to swallow some task...

well got carried away :(

z

I totally love XSI for speed and high polygon count handling, and for fast shading and general look development (and fast ray tracing). Apart from that it's pretty limited when coming from a "Houdini-ist" perspective. I'd also love an Animation Mixer like UI in CHOPs for simple tasks. Basically the advantage for me in XSI is its fast and nice workflow for basic things, which in turn makes it very usable for quick stuff like packshots and the like.

i know marc i dint mean it here

but people get into this all the time max this,maya that and so on...

my only guide is the best tool for the job

if its paint and brush or 3d scan I dont care as long as it doesnt limit me on my way

z

i know marc i dint mean it here

but people get into this all the time max this,maya that and so on...

my only guide is the best tool for the job

if its paint and brush or 3d scan I dont care as long as it doesnt limit me on my way

z

When a company starts to believe their own marketing/hype you can count of some rough times ahead. I have no problem when a company's marketing department flat out and lies to us, in fact I don't expect anything else. What does worry me though is when the gears within a company start to believe those lies and the marketing department ends up running the company...into the ground.

Edited by Wolfwood

What i've seen from XSI it's been very impressive. For me it's a very robust and powerful piece of software that is in it's infancy.

The amount of geometry that can handle, the speed, the non-destructuve piepeline, riging tools and a lot of other things are fantastic. Of course, it lacks a lot of features, and it's pretty useless for doing effects, but that might change in the furue.

If they keep working hard in it, I'm sure it's going to be an amazing soft, but right now, I wouldn't use it, since I do effecs.

If they keep working hard in it, I'm sure it's going to be an amazing soft, but right now, I wouldn't use it, since I do effecs.

I read on their forums a few months back that they've got a node based particle system in the works that is supposed to be pretty hot. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out as for alot of people particles seem to be the only thing keeping them from taking the plunge with XSI.

my primary reason to try to use xsi was animation, few colleagues on ex-work told all kind of ''cooler then maya'' things, and since I was open to try new animation tools I decided to give it a try.

Things I did not like, and things that were the reasons to go back to animate in maya are super-slow(comparing to maya's) playback, even with low poly rigs, and very buggy graph editor, many times without (known) reason it happened that I lost all weighting I did, in that moment it was enough to go back to maya. .... I don't know about this version, they say Real-time playback, without waiting for animation previews. A clean, responsive curve editor... I hope it is better...

About modelling, well, I am totally hooked to mudbox now, so personally I do not care about subD's and gigapoligons in "mother app". Good displacement is what is important, and that is one more downside of xsi for me. I become very comfortable working in renderman, and getting used to mental ray philosophy in displacement mapping was not that interesting... No doubt that xsi is good software, and in fact, when anyone asks me for advice, with what software to start learning I say houdini, xsi and c4d (mostly people choose xsi since it looks more friendly, and good results are faster to get, specially on shading/rendering part of story)... xsi's ui... well... too roundish... as I said I like minimalism in interface design. That's why I like houdini and maya (at least my setup of maya :) ) c4d has a good modern design of interface, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. Also, I don't know if you notice that, but c4d has pretty much node based everything, very, very similar to houdini way of working... even something called Xpresso sooo similar to chops...

More or less, xsi is good... but way of advertising it is not that good (that was the rason why I started this tread on the first place)... I understand that everybody wants to be the best so that they can sell the most, but on some higher level that shouldn't be the main motif. That is something I appreciate a lot about sideFX, dedication to make good peace of software, and to give great support is far beyond any other company... and that is sooo rare today...

I go now...

That's why I like houdini and maya (at least my setup of maya :) ) c4d has a good modern design of interface, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. Also, I don't know if you notice that, but c4d has pretty much node based everything, very, very similar to houdini way of working... even something called Xpresso sooo similar to chops...

It's funny that you mentioned C4D. There are some similarity between C4D and Houdini, but not much. However, when I saw some of the new changes in Houdini 9, I thought that it was becoming more like C4D.

Eh, seems like pretty typical marketing hype to me.

What I've never understood, though, is how this kind of marketing even works for software with such a niche market. Surely most of the people that are actually in a position to fork out the money for these applications make their decisions based on a lot more than boastful marketing ploys, right?

It could be worse though. It could be a game studio advertising their next-gen game engine.

"ALL NEW REVOLUTIONARY NORMAL MAPPING TECHNOLOGY PRODUCES LIFE-LIKE RESULTS IN REAL-TIME!!!" I swear, if I hear it just one more time... :shocking: